The perfect amalgamation of hashbrowns and pancakes, this Swiss dish is perfect to be had for breakfast, lunch, dinner or for snacking in between!
Delicious by itself, these savoury pancakes named Rostis are versatile and can pair well with meats, can be topped with eggs, cheese, vegetables et al. Crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, the dish primarily consists of just 3/4 ingredients and the outcome is delicious every time.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
3 peeled potatoes
2 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper
Optional add-ons: Parmesan cheese, fried egg, green onions, vegetables, bacon, paprika etc.
1. Grate the potatoes using the large holes of a hand grater or a food processor.
2. Put the potatoes in a large bowl, add the salt and pepper, and toss to coat thoroughly.
3. Using a muslin cloth or paper towel, squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the potatoes and keep aside.
4. Melt 2 of butter in a heavy bottom non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet.
5. Add the grated potatoes to the pan for the thickness that you prefer. You can either make thick ones which will take longer to cook or thin ones, which cook faster.
6. Cook the potatoes over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, until they become golden brown on one side. Then flip and repeat on the other side.
7. After getting crisp on both sides, serve hot with ketchup, chilli sauce, green chutney etc.