While I thoroughly enjoy my fluffy pancakes loaded with Nutella or drizzled generously with maple syrup, alongside some fresh fruits, when I feel like eating something light and healthy, it’s pancakes only that come to my rescue.
Confused? Pancakes come to my rescue when I don’t feel like having pancakes? Well, let me put it this way: it’s our desi pancakes that come to my rescue.
Populary known as puda/chilla, it is a simple savoury Indian pancake that is mostly made with chickpea flour(besan) and mild spices and is commonly had for breakfast. Besan packs a protein punch and can be made healthier by adding vegetables, by using ragi, moong dal et al.
Here’s my recipe for the classic besan chilla:
Prepration time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
1 Cup Sifted Besan
1 Cup Water
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Ajwain
1 Green chilli
1/2 Chopped Onion
2 tsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves
2 tsp Oil
Optional: Grated paneer, bell peppers, chopped beans
1. Mix all the ingredients, except oil, to form the batter. Make sure that there are no lumps in the batter.
2. Leave the batter to rest for 5-10 minutes, then mix again.
3. Heat a tsp of oil in a non-stick pan and pour the batter using a ladle.
4. Keep the heat on medium and spread the batter slightly.
5. Cook with 2-3 mins or until golden brown and then flip and cook on the other side.
6. Remove from heat, add any filling that you might want to add(I added grated paneer mixed with green chillies, coriander and salt). Serve hot with chutneys.