Honestly speaking, there’s nothing quite like the aroma of a freshly baked bread that engulfs the surrounding. It’s warm, it’s welcoming, and it makes one fall prey to grabbing a slice of the freshly baked goodie, as soon as it’s done.
And while I don’t undertake baking bread as often, thanks to the certain amount of patience it requires, I did take on the challenge of baking last Sunday, and I am glad that I did. Happy to report, the results were well worth it!
Here’s how I made my Garlic Morning Flower Buns-
Flour – 250gm
Milk/Water – 120-125gm
Salt – 5gm
Sugar – 20gm
Yeast – 5gm
Butter/Oil – 25gm
1 egg (can be replaced with butter)Pinch of salt
5 pods of garlic
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp dried herbs(I used parsley)
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water/milk. I used milk because I like the texture that it imparts to the bread.
- Without waiting for the yeast to form bubbles(which is what most of the recipes would say), add the flour and start mixing. If the mixture feels too dry, add 10-15 ml of water and start kneading.
- When it forms a rough dough, add the salt and butter/oil to it(I prefer butter) and knead for another 8-10 mins, until it forms a soft dough. If the dough feels stiff, continue kneading for another 5-10 mins, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Keep it in the corner for 40-45 mins, till it doubles in size.
- Take the dough out from the bowl, cut it into strips and divide it into small balls. Keep the balls on an oiled baking tray in whichever pattern you may like, leaving some space between them, since they will expand while proofing. Apply some egg wash to avoid the dough balls getting dry.
- Keep them away for another 40-45 mins and they’ll double in size. Again brush with egg wash and place the tray in a 180 degree preheated oven for 15-20 mins, until the bread is golden brown.
- Mix butter, chopped garlic and herbs in a bowl and apply on warm bread using a brush. Serve warm.