Sweet, round, versatile and of course, delicious, ladoos happen to be a ubiquitous sweet that were prepared on a lot of occasions in our family.
And though I don’t like over-sweet desserts, ladoos come as an exception, from time to time, simply because it used to be my favourite Indian sweet, back in my childhood days. Topping the list of my favourite ladoos were the simplest of all, besan ke ladoos, that are prepared with 3 primary ingredients: besan(gram flour), sugar and desi ghee.
Here’s how you can make besan ladoos in a couple of steps, and enjoy them for days, owing to good shelf life. That is, only if you can resist.
1 cup besan
2 tsp semolina, optional
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup Desi ghee
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp crushed pistachios, for garnish
Makes 6-10 ladoos, depending on the size of the ladoos.
Cooking time: 15 mins
Preparation time: 10 mins
1. Add desi ghee in a pan and melt. Roast some sooji till light brown and then add besan.
2. Stirring continuously, roast bean.
3. Remove the pan from heat and let it cool a little for 5 mins.
4. Once the mixture is not very hot, add the powdered sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well.
5. Make small or medium-sized balls with the mixture, garnish with pistachios and serve.
1. I like the ladoos a little most and hence, I add 2/3 cup of ghee. You can prepare with 1/2 cup as well.
2. Don’t add sugar to a very hot besan mixture, as the sugar would dissolve, giving the mixture an undesirable texture.
3. Semolina(suji) is completely optional. It just adds some more texture in the ladoos.