I love my pasta drenched in a beautiful tomato sauce or doused with a generous amount of cheese, but that isn’t the case these days. With summers at peak, I really don’t feel like spending a lot of time in my kitchen, cooking up an elaborate pasta dish, hence, I like my pasta simple and quick, made with only a handful of ingredients.
This recipe of garlic confit spaghetti is made with just 5 ingredients, and has become one of my favorite pasta dishes of all time. The best part is that you can keep it as simple as I do, or you can experiment and add some herbs or chilli flakes or bits of bacon, to make it fancy. Versatile and absolutely delicious.
Though as the name would suggest, the dish is about celebrating garlic. The key is to add the slices of garlic with the olive oil on low flame. This would allow the garlic to diffuse properly in the oil and give a beautiful flavor.
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
250 grams spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
4 cups chicken stock
Salt to taste
1. Add chicken stock and salt to a pan and raise the heat to medium high. Add spaghetti and cook for 10 mins, till al-dante.
2. Drain and keep the spaghetti aside. Make sure to save the starch-y stock left from the pasta as that will help to add depth to the pasta.
3. In another pan, add the olive oil and keep the flame on low heat.
4. Using a knife or a mandolin, cut thin slices of garlic and add to the olive oil in the pan.
5. On low heat itself, let the garlic cook for 3-5 mins, till golden brown.
6. Add in the spaghetti to the pan and toss. Add a ladel of the pasta liquid and cook on high for 1-2 mins.
7. Serve hot.
1. I didn’t add salt in the end, as while cooking the spaghetti in the chicken stock, my pasta soaked enough salt for my liking.
2. If you’re a vegetarian, replace chicken stock with vegetable stock. Try and add mushrooms to the vegetable stock as the flavour profile would go beautifully well with garlic.